banner-comments

Comment

In response to the editorial, NRC-CAB Affair

I. Mallikarjuna Sharma

I totally differ with the tenor of and mindset exhibited in the editorial.

I fully support the CAB but also suggested that a phrase 'such Muslims as are persecuted politically/culturally therein' be also included with the condition that the period of residence required for their naturalization may stand as previously at 12 years or at the most reduced to 9-10 years only. This will give powers and facility to the government to quickly dispose of applications from politically/culturally persecuted Muslims like Ahmadiyas, Shias, atheists among them, as also Baloch and Sind nationalists, who want to take refuge, asylum and even citizenship in course in our country. But the idiotic opposition just blindly opposed the bill without any thought of reasonably negotiating with the government.

Myanmar cannot be included because we have nothing to do with Rohingya Muslims who are a menace to peace and tranquility in any region. That is the headache of Burma and Bangladesh, and let them sort it out. If at all, our government can render some generous financial aid to the refugee camps in Bangladesh but drive out all the Rohingyas legally or illegally residing in India now - the sooner the better.

I also suggest further amendments be made to CAB (now CAA) to the extent that Central Government will have powers to indicate the regions where the naturalized citizens cannot reside, otherwise the whole of North East will become a hell of insurgency. As the main demand of the North East was - drive out all the immigrants. They hate Bengalis, Hindu or Muslim, very much - especially Assamese do. So, on humanitarian grounds the Hindu illegal immigrants to the tune of about 15 lakhs [who are officially listed out of the NRC] may be given citizenship but they should not be permitted to reside in Assam or the North East. They should be resettled in West Bengal or in other States. Only if they agree to that condition, they should be naturalized, that too, in phases.

I also opine that a duly recorded NRC for every state is essential but it should be prepared in gradual phases and very cautiously. 

Frontier
Dec 17, 2019

I. Mallikarjuna Sharma mksharma55@gmail.com

Your Comment if any