banner-frontier
lefthomeaboutpastarchiveright

Letters

Behind Bars
Iran is now the world’s third-largest jailer of journalists according to new data from NGO Reporters without Borders (RSF). Since the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini in police custody in mid-September that triggered nationwide protests, 31 journalists have been imprisoned, adding to the 14 already detained. But violence against journalists is also on the rise globally.

South America has been a hot spot for killings this year, while China and Myanmar lead the charge for detentions. India is not far behind. Western governments must call out attacks on the press everywhere. But they raise [the issue] when it’s convenient for them. They are willing to raise it with certain places and not with others. The killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is a case in point. A free press means better-informed people and a fairer society. The democratic world needs to do everything it can to make it a priority.
The Monocle Minute

EWS Reservation
I feel this provision is good and beneficial to the poor sections among the forward castes/communities. However, as I repeatedly made clear, the reservations system itself should be gradually eliminated. I would rather prefer 20% reservation on EWS basis to one and all—without excluding any caste/community from this ambit—and only up to 30% reservations to other castes/communities on SC, ST or OBC bases. This naturally means the reduction of existing reservation quotas being given to SC/ST/OBC accordingly. And after 20-30 years no reservations on the basis of caste/community should remain at all. Only about 20% of seats and posts be allotted for any reservations whatsoever–primarily on EWS and physically, mentally etc. disabled or aged categories basis.
IM Sharma, Advocate,
Editor, Law Animated World

Back to Home Page

Frontier
Vol 55, No. 27, Jan 1 - 7, 2023